University of Vienna

University of Vienna, Main Building

 

Venue address

University of Vienna
Universitätsring 1
1010 Vienna

 

Situated on the Ringstrasse, the main building of the University of Vienna was designed in the style of historicism by architect Heinrich von Ferstel and inaugurated in 1884. Alongside the central administration, the main building also houses the University Library, as well as several institutes and administrative bodies (the research and teaching facilities of the University of Vienna are located at 60 different sites throughout the city).

Due to its central location in the historical center of Vienna and to its excellent mass transit connections, the main building of the University of Vienna is a very sought-after venue for national and international congresses and conventions. Over 25 auditoria equipped with state-of-the-art technology are available for any number of different events, while the Small Festival Room, with its magnificent ambience, offers a splendid backdrop for banquets. In the main Assembly Hall, in the two lateral Assembly halls, as well as in the Arcade Courtyard, frequent exhibitions are organized.

The fully disabled-accessible Assembly Hall, which also features a modern info-center, leads to the green Arcade Courtyard, where in the warm season an open air cafeteria lures those in need of a moment of repose. Busts and statues under the arcades keep the memory of renowned university professors alive.

The “collected knowledge” of the University of Vienna is available at the University Library. More than six million volumes and over 10,000 electronic media on about 72 kilometers of bookshelves await their readers.

The Great Festival Room offers a dignified backdrop for graduation ceremonies and other festive functions. The ceiling is decorated with reproductions of faculty paintings by the painters Gustav Klimt and Franz Matsch.


Font:

esil2014 |